Pages

Monday, March 11, 2013

Two Energetic and Great Women


We went to Women You Should Know as our today’s field trip. Before I went there, I had done some studies on its website and I had already been attracted by its video profiles. Maybe because I am interested in video production, I am surprised with the form it used to introduce women around us. I had seen some video profiles before I went to this field trip, and each of them seemed like a documentary. From each video, I can learn a common but great story behind the storyteller.

When I arrived at the office of Women You Should Know, the founders, Jennifer Jones and Cynthia Hornig, were really friendly, and I can see energy behind them. They talked about their experience and the process of running their own company. What made me surprised is that they have no background in technology. For example, they said they had no background in computer because there was no computer during their growing up.

I cannot believe that two women without computer technology can run a company like this. They said that besides of running a company, they had to learn how to use a computer. In fact, Women You Should Know is not the first company they ran, their first company is Outhouse PR. They run their company based on their studies in Marketing. Thus, the whole speech was about what they had in Marketing, and what they didn’t have in Computer.

That is why I said this field trip was different. All of our field trips before were about companies or startups which had a good combination of idea, marketing and technology. However, these two women are special, and I really want to say that they are energetic and great. They got their ideas from what they saw around them, and tried to make them out with their own abilities. Although they had no computer skills, but they used their marketing technology to employ technic employers, even made people volunteering to do job for them. If I use “why they are different” to describe them, it must be they have a good marketing strategy.

In terms of me, now I am preparing my final project. Before I went to this field trip, I really had a similar idea. At first, I wanted to build up an app that used 1 min video to record people’s lives. However, finally I gave up this idea because I cannot find a good way to earn money from it. After this field trip, I found that I was totally wrong, and I had a bad marketing strategy. Thus, I need to study more in finance and marketing because I had no information in these areas before.

After this field trip, I still have some questions. I know that they use the video profiles to introduce women around us, but do these video can be found in other websites, such as Youtube? If they can, so this maybe influence the value of Women You Should know. If they cannot, Women You Should Know may lose a good chance to spread out. Thus, the dialectics among the marketing plan should be paid more attention.

All in all, no matter what technology or abilities you have, do your best on them, you would be successful after a hard work.

No comments:

Post a Comment