Pages

Monday, March 11, 2013

Friendship Comes From TenLegs


Today’s field trip is about another media startups located in NYC. It is named Tenlegs and it aimed to help emerging and independent artists to broadcast and share their works and to provide them opportunities to meet others for mutual benefit.

The founder of Tenlegs, Amit Gupta, graduated from Leonard N. Stern School of Business in NYU, so in some degrees, we are schoolmate. However, he studied EE as his undergraduate major. The situation just matches what I said before that most media people had at least two separately backgrounds. That is to say, Amit Gupta has found his own career target to balance the two different parts.

In his talk, he first talked about his own study experience and his work experience. He also talked about the Tenlegs Company’s operation and function. He not only showed us the works of other artists from the Tenlegs, but also showed us how the Tenlegs connect, collaborate and prosper artists. In fact, I really like Tenlegs which provides artists a platform to make their dreams come true.

In the whole speech of him, Friends is the most frequently word he used. At first, Tenlegs was built by a kind of combination of friends. In fact they have seven full time employers and about 5 part time workers. They really have twenty-four legs, but it has the same meaning as ten legs because they are all friends. Based on their friendship, the Tenlegs was built. Besides, I think the main purpose of their company is to provide a way to artists to show themselves with the tools and resources of Tenlegs. At last, Tenlegs will bring them paid creative opportunities enabling them to prosper without compromise.

After this field trip, I thought a lot about the friendship, especially the importance of friendship in media job. First, similar as Amit Gupta, I didn’t study media before, and when I came into the media area, I had a lot of unknown knowledge, some of them I could solve by self-learning, while others I should ask my friends or partners for help. Thus, I need friends worked in this area to help me improve myself, or I can say to improve each other. That is to say, media cannot be studied by a single person, it’s a interactive and communicated area. That’s why we have many classes named studio seminar. It wants us to make friends and to gain knowledge from others through the communication.

In the future, especially when I work, the friendship will become more and more important. In the media, there are always some big projects to do. We cannot finish them alone. For example, a video processing basically contains sounds, image, technology and other aspects. Although we are media people, we need a team to complete the whole procedure of them which means we need to build friendship with others and look for partners to spread our products. That’s why Amit and his friends construct their Tenlegs. He has already known that to a media person, the collaborating is a necessary part. Besides, they really did an excellent job.

In fact, the media is a kind of area based on relying and cooperating. I appreciated Amit’s speech, and it pointed me a necessary condition in my future study. I will not only pay attention to the media, but also improve my social skill and make more friends and meet more cooperators. Maybe some days in the future, I will build another Tenlegs with my friends, or maybe I call it more than ten legs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment